[C320-list] New Sails

drshoffner at aol.com drshoffner at aol.com
Sat Dec 3 19:35:28 PST 2005

I'm considering a new set of sails this off season and would appreciate input since I've never bought sails before.  I'll probably buy them online as there really is no "local loft" in middle Georgia.  Does anyone have experience with FX or Airforce sails?  FX is out of Charleston as is Airforce and their prices via online quote are close to 20% less for what appears to be a similar product.  I first remember seeing them advertised after the downfall of Sailnet and believe they may have been started by Airforce dropouts.  I haven't spoken to either by phone yet.

Any other thoughts on purchasing sails to replace OE Catalina sails will be appreciated.  What about a loose footed main?  Does the Dutchman system work with a loose foot?  What about a StackPack or similar knockoff?  Any thoughts on advantages or disadvantages of radial vs crosscut sails for coastal cruising use?

Thanks,
Mike Shoffner