[C320-list] Manzanillo

Tue Dec 6 16:28:32 PST 2005

Annie,
(Btw...have been 'down under' in Melbourne since Sunday...great weather
and lots of friendly blokes!)

You had asked about Manzanillo (in spanish it means 'apple orchard'),
friends of mine have been crusing Mexico since Nov 2004 and are making
their way to Panama this season and they filed this report:
--------------------------------------

Hi Everybody,

Well here we are 22 miles south (actually East!) of Barra de Navidad at a
place called Bahia Santiago, which is in Manzinillo.  Manzinillo is the
largest port in Mexico and even unload goods destined for the United
States
and as far south as Columbia!

We found this information out yesterday, when we thought we (we being
Barry
from “Blew Moon” and Rick and I) should try and check in with the Port
Captain!  Rather than using the VHF radio, we went to his office, and
found
the “Big Kahuna” and spoke to him, he thought we were mad!!!!  (as we
don’t
need to check in and out now - but some of the ports still require it - so
you have no idea when you arrive somewhere what the procedure is!!  And as
we are the only boats here, there’s no one to ask!!)   Anyway, we had a
nice
chat with him and he told us all about his port and the 182 cargo ships a
month he gets going through there (so as you could probably ascertain, he
certainly is not interested in us little boats!!!  But he was very
gracious
about it!)

Even though Manzanillo is a huge port, the actual town area is really
quaint, and even more so is the lovely little town of Santiago over where
we
are anchored.  We are on the other side of a peninsula so don’t get to
look
at the port - so our view is pretty beaches and alas abandoned building
projects (modern day ruins as they are known here!)  And just over the
hill
is “Las Hadas” the resort used in the making of the movie “10” (if anyone
still remembers that movie?!!)  We might go and anchor over there tomorrow
to check it out, it sure looks pretty.

Hope you enjoyed....

cuba libre 2

Regards,