[C320-list] Tuning Guide

Chris Block ..._/) ....._/) cblock at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 30 16:43:31 PST 2005

I broke down and bought (~$150 @ Defender) the PT-3 gauge to "tune" my rig (1994, Hull 139).  I had a PT-2 from my J/80 days.  I was surprised to see that the guide posted on the website is much looser than where my previous owner had it.  The only thing that stayed similar were the cap's, but the rest of the rig was loosened quite a bit.  I assume I'll have to track down the author of the guide (Mark Yeager from either Dallas or Colorado.), but I wanted to see if anyone had experienced this tuning:

Questions:

1. I believe the forestay is already 3" longer with the Hood furler vs. the Schaefer.  I assume this means that I don't need to lengthen the forestay?

2. Should the backstay be slack with the settings on this tuning guide?  Mine still have quite a bit of tension, but I held off from loosening them.

3. What adjustments (if any) should be made for different winds?

4. How slack should the leeward shrouds be in different wind conditions while beating?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Amore #139