[C320-list] Engine noise

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Thu Dec 1 05:48:09 PST 2005

Jon,
   Do it !! you'll be glad you did. I used the stuff from Defender (as
always cheaper than WM) 5 years ago that contains lead (I don't think WM
even had it) so my weight difference was significant but so was the
difference in sound. I had forgotten how loud the standard 320 was until
went on a friends 98 a couple years ago - wow ! what a racket!! I put
off adding the external handles until last spring and it was a big help
for gripping the rear. I just used simple white cabinet door handles
from a home goods type store for cheap.
Stan
(formerly) Christy Leigh
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> jonvez at comcast.net 12/01/05 7:45 AM >>>
Dick,
How much heavier does this make the two covers? I have been
procrastinating on this project for a couple of off seasons now. Perhaps
it's good time to also add the external handle that some have added to
the aft cover....

Regards,

Jon Vez

> What I have........
>
> I just added the foam as noted below with the great help from Stan's
email
> and from the good hands on work of my CYC neighbor Ray Stone. The
> modification makes a large reduction to the sound, and probably
contains
> heat. The job takes about 3 hours for some one not handy, me.
>
> I purchased 2 kits from West marine.
> Although it does not indicate on the box, my two kits of 1" came
complete
> with Seam Tape and 10 Hangers each. All that was needed. The kits
list for
> $89.99. I used 3M 5200 to secure the hangers although 2 part epoxy
will
> also do the trick. The material has one side that has adhesive on it.
The
> kit instructions indicate that you should give it 2 minutes to get
tacky
> before applying, do it quickly because it get tacky fast..
>
> When you get the box open it and see if there is another box with the
items
> listed above, the label on the box did not indicate that it included
the
> extra parts and so does it not describe the parts being included in
the
> catalogue.
>
> I put the front cover on, turned the engine over a few times, with
the red
> handle pulled up so it would not start, in order to see where I had
to pull
> away about 1/2 inch of material. I covered the space with the foil.
>
> I used about 1 and 1/2 kits. I may cover the reefer side at a later
date.

> Cheers,
>
> Dick Walker
> 740 Olive Ave.