[C320-list] Cutlass bearing and...

Russell Monaco russgm at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 15:25:03 PST 2005

rod-
 my understanding is that you can "carve out" a harmless bit of the strut and so keep the prop near it, becuase the more you move it out, the great chance there exists for a bent shaft.
 -russ

Rod Boer <rod.boer1 at verizon.net> wrote: Hi Russ,

I am also replacing my cutlass bearing, shaft, coupling, and replacing the
PSS shaft seal with a stuffing box with Gortex stuffing.  I had my rudder
removed when my boat was hauled.  The C320 next to me in dry dock has the
Autoprop with a SS shaft.  The thing that I noticed was different was the
clearance between the prop and the strut.  His had 1-1/2" between the
Autoprop and the strut whereas my clearance between the Michigan prop and
the strut is 1".  I seem to remember that additional clearance was needed
for the Autoprop.  I plan to get all of my stuff from Catalina with the
instruction that I would like the shaft long enough to handle which ever
prop needs the most clearance which I will have figured out by that time.
My guess is I would probably go with a MaxProp.

Rod