[C320-list] Water heater continued...

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Thu Dec 29 09:39:41 PST 2005

Chris - I can address both of your issues from my perspective.

1.  When any water is blowing off through the temperature-pressure (TP)
valve, it means the valve is faulty.  They do fail fairly routinely.
Seaward will send a replacement valve for about $25 including shipping.  I
removed the entire tank to change the valve.  Tank removal is NOT a fun job.
In retrospect, I may have been able to change the TP valve by only removing
the drawers and cabinet insert.  When replacing the TP valve, be sure to use
plenty of pipe dope.  I use Real-Tuff Teflon Paste Thread Sealant from Home
Depot as it is non-toxic, contains no lead, and works in temps from -200F to
+550F and pressure to 10,000 PSI!  A final note: I am reluctantly glad that
I did remove the tank as I was able to dump out that last gallon or 2 of
water from the bottom of the tank that collects over the years and never
purges.  This water was nasty smelling, nasty looking, and full of silt.

2.  The inspection ports on the top of the water tanks leak regardless of
just about anything I tried.  I even used up to 12 wraps of Teflon pipe tape
to no avail.  I finally started used the Real-Tuff stuff (see above) and no
more leaks, not even a drop!  Any overflow goes where it should go, over the
side through the overflow.  For the first time since I have owned the boat,
I have a completely dry bilge (except when the A/C is running; I haven't yet
figured out how to get the condensate line to dump overboard versus into the
bilge).

Hope this helps!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808