[C320-list] Re: [catalina320] starter battery

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Wed Nov 9 05:28:09 PST 2005

Chris,
   One of the last things I did to my c320 was add a starting battery and an Echo Charger by Xantrex for away from the dock charging. It has the brains to - Check the start battery to see - IF - it needs juice, then - IF - and only IF whatever battery or group of batteries you have it connected to has enough juice to feed it, before any current is passed to the start battery. Of course I wired a 'fail over' switch so I could always use the house for start if needed.
   I also had the Xantrex 20 connected to all 3 batteries (I didn't go parallel with the house) for shore power charging and had no over charging problems.
   Since I was one of the many, many, many..... people who had the infamous Flyback 20 go junk in the first year, if that was my charger, I would get it out of the picture before doing anything else to try and figure out the problem. Just my rarely humble opinion.
Stan
(formally) "Christy Leigh"
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> oldman1030 at hotmail.com 11/09/05 7:57 AM >>>
I might have missed something in the thread but let me ask this question
because I might need to deal with it in the near future.

This solution seems to leave out the alternator overcharging the starter
battery.
If I have a  low house battery and an 80 amp alternator couldn't the same
situation happen.

Thank,

Chris