[C320-list] Holding Tank Vent Cap

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 20:34:44 PST 2005

Yes it just screws off.  BUT before you do that, have a flat-blade (aka non-phillips) screwdriver with you up there on deck.  As you start to unscrew it threads will become visible from the male part coming through the hull from the medicine cabinet area.  Once you see a few rings of threads, you'll want to gently slide a screwdriver onto those threads between the hull and the cap that you are unscrewing.

  Eventually the black cap will come off.  I'm probably a worry-wart but I'm nervous about the hose fixture coming from the tank which is now newly freed deciding to retreat into the hull causing me no end of grief.  Somewhere along the line (and i confess that I no longer remember how) I figured out what kind of thread this thing took and bought a dummy plastic tee with the same threads as the male part protruding from the hull.

  So my procedure is to insert the screwdriver blade onto the part protruding to hold it in place, remove the black cap, screw on the dummy part that I purchased for the occasion and screw it down until it's snug on the hull and all is well.

  Then I take the newly freed black plastic part down below and clean it thoroughly.  Once satisified, I reverse the procedure to replace the black cap and free up the dummy part.

   -bill

Bruce Stumpp <bstumpp at comcast.net> wrote:
  Do you mean the black plastic cap that is on the side of the hull? I've
tried to remove mine to inspect it and have not had any luck getting it off.
And it just screws off?

Bruce Stumpp
Adventure, 847
Frog Mortar Creek, MD