[C320-list] Engine Winterization

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Fri Nov 18 09:08:15 PST 2005

Jim,
   The - Engine Block Coolant/Antifreeze - you have in you Engine cooling system filled by the little plastic bottle in the engine compartment may be Pink but it is most definitely Not the "Pink Stuff" referred to in Winterizing procedures. If it is - Drain it Today.
     The "Pink Stuff" besides being front and center in most WM's, Boat US's and any other Boating Supply store can also be found in many hardware stores and most auto parts stores above the Mason/Dixon at this time of year even far inland and  is commonly referred to as  "RV Antifreeze" because it is also used for winterizing stored RV's drinking water systems during the winter. It is never used as a permanent Engine Block Coolant/Antifreeze in cars, trucks, boats, or whatever because it doesn't have all the anti-corrosion, anti-boiling, etc.... and all the other stuff that your pink engine block coolant/antifreeze Does.
   As I mentioned in an earlier post the Purple -60 stuff that is much harder to find is the closest thing to watered down Environmentally Safe Engine Block Coolant/Antifreeze because it has the stuff in it to protect metal. 50/50 with water is the way we used to do it before it became available / purposely built for exactly what we need to winterize the - Engine Exhaust System.
Stan
formerly "Christy Leigh"
c320 #656
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

>>> jim.harrison.Ctr at mail.dss.mil 11/18/05 11:08 AM >>>
Our new boat (hull #855 w/Yanmar 3GM30F) was commissioned and delivered (10/2001) with pink antifreeze in the closed system by our Catalina dealer, Tidewater Marina in Havre de Grace, MD. We
were advised to continue using it at a new owners' seminar. We have not had any problems using it. Perhaps it depends on the engine?

Jim Harrison
"Painkiller", Catalina 320, #855
Middle River, Sue Creek, Baltimore Yacht Club