[C320-list] Location of Grey Water Tank on new C32 for Charter Survey

Annie Bennett annie at sydneyprivatesailing.com.au
Sat Apr 8 15:52:38 PDT 2006

Hi All

things are progressing albeit slowly on the approval (or otherwise) of our
new C32 #1073 and we are cautiously optimistic we may have approval by the
end of April.  A big lesson we have learned is that we should have got the
C32 plans approved by NSW Maritime before ordering (and paying for) the
boat.  We had assumed that because our previous C32 #812 had been approved
for charter survey, we would have no problem getting the new one approved.

NSW Maritime are unhappy with the detail on the C32 plans which are 1996
plans and want current plans.  However, we understand that the 1996 plans
ARE the current plans and there are no more recent plans.

A new regulation we have been made aware of is that we now need a "grey
water" tank (washing up and shower water) as well as a "black water" tank.
Apparently there is now a rule on Sydney Harbour that there should be "nil
discharge" on charter boats.

The dealer has suggested installing a grey water tank under the seats below
deck on the port side (opposite the batteries and the holding tank).  We
think a 50 litre tank should satisfy regulations.  It sounds like a good
idea to me.  Has anyone got any better suggestions for the location of a
grey water tank?

Annie Bennett