[C320-list] 4 tough screws in compass base

A. R. Gates argates2nd at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 21:28:12 PDT 2006

It took a couple of days to remove the 4 screws -- they turned out to be locktighted towards the bottom threads!

Two of the screws came out with a thick screw drive in a large ratchet wrench with plenty of muscle.
The other two heads had to be cut off with a dremel and a small cutoff wheel; then the bolt shafts were heated to red hot and removed with a vice grip; fortunately my neighbor is a retired engineer with lots of tools -- and mechanical knowledge way beyond a retired bean counter.
The good news is that the eleven year old chain was fine and still lubricated with oil and grease.
Now I'll use 30 wgt oil on the chain and teflon grease on the pulleys and linkages.
The Danforth Constellation compass needed fluid added.
This work is part of the preparation for our first cruise to Key West in ten days -- it is about 150 Kts south southwest from here.
Rollie  #182   Burnt Store Marina, FL