[C320-list] Whisker/Spinnaker Pole

David J Gleason djgleason1 at juno.com
Sun Apr 30 16:34:53 PDT 2006

Gil:

You mention you are planning on getting into the spinnaker business.  Is
this a cruising spinnaker or do you plan on doing some serious racing?
If it is racing, then you would want to stay away from the whisker pole
and purchase a fixed length spinnaker pole.  PHRF measurers are very
tough on boats using whisker poles, as are your competitors.  You will
likely have protests if the pole is extended even 1/4" beyond the marked
J measurement.

I have a cruising spinnaker and use a line control adjustable pole.  I
believe it is the Forespar, LC 10 - 18 pole.  I used the Forespar FC-125
Heavy Duty car mounted on 10' of 1&1/4" Genoa track.  This way, I stow
the pole vertical up against the mast.  I have a topping lift attached to
the outboard end of the pole only.  This arrangement allows easy handling
of the pole with no fear of ever losing it overboard.  It is always
attached to the boat in two place.  I have a 3:1 ratio line controlling
the car, so it is easy to raise and lower.  With the topping lift
attached, as I pull the inboard end of the pole down, it raises the
outboard end, so there is no lifting or attaching pole to the mast.  It
is always set up and ready to use.  I have a West Marine Mast Mount Pole
Chock attached about 6" from the base of the mast to help stow the pole
when not in use.  I did have to add a tie down strap to the chock to keep
it from bouncing out of the chock when in choppy seas.

I will try to get some pictures to post on the web site.