[C320-list] Folding Prop - and Oh I forgot to ask

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Apr 11 06:52:04 PDT 2006

Hi Randy,

For folding props, (NOT FEATHERING PROPS) it doesn't matter whether you sail
in Forward or Reverse or Neutral really.  (I use neutral)

The point flex-o-fold is making (and you'll see this for yourself) is that
if you're motoring along at several kts, go to neutral, stop the engine, the
prop will freewheel for quite a long time due to the water, centrifugal
forces, Mermaids, etc.  A flex-o-fold will eventually stop, I think.  My
Gori does not fold back until I stop the shaft for a moment..

If you just shut the engine off from a slow idle while in forward gear, the
prop will stop spinning quickly and fold back.  Go to neutral and have fun
sailing.  Once a folding prop's blades are back, it's not going to
freewheel.

If you stop the shaft, then go to neutral and it starts spinning again, then
you should sail in gear.  If not, just sail in neutral.

NON-FOLDING props:
==================

For fixed props, the "accepted wisdom" is Reverse.  (reverse also keeps the
prop from trying to spin the engine the forward direction, not that it would
happen).

Some feathering props and AutoProp want you to actively keep the prop shaft
from free-wheeling by sailing in gear.  AutoProp suggests using Forward (As
I recall) to get it to feather.  Jon Vez, Dick Walker, and others have
hands-on with these, so learn from them.

I doubt it matters which direction for MaxProp and other feathering props,
but with feathering props you should sail in gear if you care whether your
shaft spins under sail.

Hope this helps?
-Jeff H.