[C320-list] new boat terrors

Robert Seastream seastream at adelphia.net
Thu Apr 13 17:14:51 PDT 2006

I'm a new owner of a 2002 320, hull 906, out of Portsmouth, NH.  I
upgraded from a 1983 C25.  Catalina is a good company producing a great
boat; their history speaks for itself.  Sounds like your only problem
is a lazy dealer.  The following is my two cents, not gospel.

Given the money you have invested in this boat, I think you should
simply refuse to take ownership of the boat until ALL of your concerns,
no matter how small, are resolved to your satisfaction!  Make this
firmly clear to your dealer, face to face.  You may have closed on the
loan, but have you given the dealer his bank check yet?  If not, that's
huge leverage; if so, your only path to resolution may be through
Frank.  Tell the dealer you've phoned Frank Butler (you have, right?)
to keep him in the loop on this.  Phone Frank, don't email him.  He's
old school;  I've heard he prefers the phone.

The documentation fee you mentioned does indeed sound a bit high.
Please see the following link:  http://www.uscg.mil/hq/gm/vdoc/nvdc.htm

Again, these are great boats, possibly one of the best values per
dollar spent.  I've been in/on a few other makes, so it's not just
owners pride.

Yes, you are supposed to get a 'shakedown' cruise where Q&A about
'what's this and how's it work' happens.

Best of luck,

Bob