[C320-list] Electric Power Needs

Richard A. Walker dickwalker at att.net
Tue Apr 18 21:17:46 PDT 2006

Well Bruce this is a religious matter... I prefer not to carry additional a
Honda with it fuel.

If you do that, remember that the charge rate will be that of your dockside
charger or at the max 40 amps.

I like our solution which is:
1. A starter Battery, which I would add under any conditions.
With an E-Meter so I can monitor the banks.
2. A 15,000 watt Inverter
3. The BALMAR alternator and the max charge regulator.

I do not have to rig the Honda, hear it and refuel it, lug it around.  Rig
the Solar etc.

After 6.5 years we have about 550 hours on the diesel engine and at that
rate it will last forever.

This really depends on where you sail and how much time you want to spend
setting up stuff.  Also I noted that in Sydney harbor many were on the buys
not on dockside power, that would change my decision.

Bottom Line-----What is best is what  your location and style it.  In
Australia you will get much more sun than lets say in San Diego from
April-July.

Cheers,

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II