[C320-list] It's a dinghy, a fiendish dinghy

A. R. Gates argates2nd at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 19 08:07:52 PDT 2006

Brace yourselves -- here is a design from a retired accountant:
This summer we bought a 9'2" inflatable with a wood floor, seat & transom (74 lbs).
We cruise about 5 times a year for a total of about 3 weeks but we race Mondays from Nov.-April, so I didn't want to install davits -- not that they would get in the way when racing but they would be superfluous.

I "engineered" a support on the swim platform for the inflatable with two 2' lengths of 2" PVC pipe with caps on one end from Home Depot.  I attach these to the bottom of the swim ladder's horizontal legs with 2 SS clamps on each side.  The inflatable rests on the pipes and is lashed to the stern pulpit, riding on its side upright.
The 3.5hp motor goes on a pulpit mount or in the port locker.
Testing thus far is one overnight of 25 miles where we needed to raise the dingy and tie it higher on one side to avoid swells hitting it when heeled 15+ degrees.  Care is also needed when backing into the slip.
The big test comes this weekend in a 150 mile run to Key West, some cruising in the Keys, and return.
If we cruised more and raced less, we might go for the davits.

Critiques are welcome.
Rollie  #182   Burnt Store Marina, FL