[C320-list] Maxwell Anchor Windlass

T. Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sat Apr 22 08:49:49 PDT 2006

I had to remove the motor unit two years ago as part of removing the
entire mounting to solve a problem with the stripper arm on my chain
gypsy, which had been installed in the wrong position by the dealer or
previous owner.  I used this as an opportunity to change the oil.  I had
a discussion with Maxwell at that time about this very problem, since
removing the motor is a big deal that I hope I never have to do again.
The sight glass is useless given the horizontal mount of our windlasses,
which is not what the Maxwell factory had in mind originally.

My recollection is that the Maxwell people told me that the key thing is
to make sure that some oil is getting on the gears, especially at the
point of contact between the worm gear on the motor and the main gear on
the output shaft, and that the level otherwise isn't particularly
critical.  (At the same time, I imagine it might leak out along  the
output shaft if you overfilled it.)  In a few years when I check this
again my intention is to remove the sight glass, suck out as much oil as
I can through a small tube, and then refill until the oil is just up to
the middle of the output shaft.  Considering that the Maxwell factory
recommended installation has the motor horizontal and the output shaft
vertical, while our installation has exactly the opposite, this is a bit
of a seat of the pants solution.  Given how little the windlass gets
used, I doubt if this is particularly critical.  I fully expect those
gears and bearings to live longer than anything else on the boat.