[C320-list] Hull speed

Adam Weiner esquirecatering at rcn.com
Sat Apr 22 14:38:04 PDT 2006

They are surf boards with keels.

Regarding 1.34 times the square root of waterline length:  that formula
was developed for wave theory not for boats.  Basically a displacement
boat creates a wave in front of it, and that wave can only go that 1.34
etc.  If the displacement boat goes faster than that it submarines.  I
have only had that happen once, not on my boat, and it was scarier then
heck to see the bow pointed down and water lapping up to the mast while
the boat kept sailing down.

The bottom line:  you can't change the laws of physics Jim.