[C320-list] Hull speed

John Van Vessem jvanvessem at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 27 18:52:31 PDT 2006

I have done 9.6 knots on a broad reach.  I am reasonably confident that my knot meter is accurate since I checked it several times with the gps speed at slack tide, in both directions and they are within .5 knots of each other.  I have also checked it with a known current in the estuary and after adding or subtacting the known current both knot meter and gps are still within allowable differences (again about .5 knots)

  John (Sojourn645)

BAdams3491 at aol.com wrote:
  Hull speed is 1.34 X sq root of waterline length...which comes out to 7.1.
As for speed thru the water or gps speed, I get over 9 knots (thru the water)
on a reach, don't have a gps so ground speed is not available.

Bert
At Ease