[C320-list] Installed new Garhauer Dinghy Davits

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Aug 1 12:59:55 PDT 2006

Hello,

    Prior to our cruise around Casco Bay, Maine I ordered and installed the
new Garhauer Dinghy Davits.

I purchased the DD6-1-1/4 model for $800        vs.   ~$1300 for the
comparable Ocean Marine HSD 40.

With some advice and encouragement from Dick Walker, I installed them myself
in about 2 hours with my daughter Amanda occasionally holding a wrench for
me.

My assessement:

===============

They are Fantastic, STRONG and beautifully finished.

Everything I needed was supplied except some 4200 for bedding.

For tools, I only needed a marker, a 1/4"  drill bit and two wrenches and a
couple allen wrenches.

They were so easy to install I kept thinking there must be more to it.

They carry the dinghy lower than the Ocean Marine version, but there's still
no chance of the dinghy hitting water even if you put the rail in the water.

I ordered a 6' crossbar instead of the stock 5' one.  I ended up trimming
off ~4" with a large pipe cutter.   Newer Hulls with the modern aft sloping
stern rail seats should get the 6' crossbar.

Having seen and used both the Ocean Marine and now, the Garhauer Marine
davits,  there's no question the Garhauer 1- 1/4" version is a much better
value.

Comes with 6:1 blocks with Cam cleat and regular cleats for tying off the
line.

I'll be posting additional pictures from my installation along with a few
more of Dick Walker's davit installation some time soon (he got the DD6-1"
version, whereas I got the slightly heavier version with 1-1/4" tubes)

-Jeff Hare