[C320-list] Companion way hatch noise

Annie Bennett annie at sydneyprivatesailing.com.au
Tue Aug 1 03:19:10 PDT 2006

I'm curious you say removing the hatch panel was an easy job.  The hatch
doesn't close properly on our new boat.  It is lopsided and closes properly
on the starboard side but on the port side the top of the
washboards/stormboards is visible (only by a couple of milimetres). It's
like something is grabbing it on the left.  It bothers me but I have been
given to understand that it's fine and fixing it will be very difficult.
However, it irritates me each time I unlock the boat - especially as the
next thing I see is the repaired (with wood filler) chips/chunks on the top
step which to me stand out like a sore thumb as the colour match isn't
entirely successful.  In anycase, why is a new boat delivered with chunks
out of the step.  Isn't there any quality control or do things get damaged
in transit?  Maybe this is the price for having owned a previous C32 where
the hatch fitted perfectly and the steps were perfect.  The sailmaker might
have been right when he said (I didn't listen) I didn't need a new boat, I
needed new sails!  Maybe the next boat will be perfect! - but maybe the next
boat won't be a Catalina.  There is a chip in the cockpit locker lid
adjacent to the hinges and chips in the white framework below which nobody
but me (or a potential purchaser) would notice.  I had thought that the fact
I have so much opportunity to show off Catalinas for better or worse would
help ensure this one was perfect but I was wrong.  I love the way it sails,
love the autopilot, love the tv, hate the several minor cosmetic flaws.  An
employee at the local marina fixing the issue of the hose rubbing on the
engine commented they had noticed standards on all production boats have
become more relaxed so I'm probably just being fussy.  The dog is happy and
doesn't seem to notice the difference between the old and the new boat.
Assume we are allowed to comment on the negatives as well as the positives
on this list?

Annie #1073