[C320-list] Hurth Gearbox Ratio

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 2 09:55:53 PDT 2006

Our hull #62, from the plate on the trans: Hurth HBW-50-2R, iA 2.05; iB 1.86 Serial 09-73295, Cap. 10 fl.oz. (0.3lt, 0.29qt)

I believe the "A" ratio of 2.05 is the normally forward position and the "A" is in reverse.  However, don't be confused by the description of the gear as a "reverse" gear.  That means that in the "A" position rotation is reversed through the gear (opposite from that of the crankshaft;) and, when shifted to the "B" position the rotation is the same as the crankshaft.

Perkins shop manual says, "Rotation: Anti-clockwise viewed from flywheel."  After passing through the gear in "A" position, the rotation is reversed which renders a rignt-hand turning prop as viewed forward from the stern.  We had this discussion recently and the description was confusing to many.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay