[C320-list] new main and jib sheets

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Sun Aug 6 07:11:29 PDT 2006

Regarding the Regatta Braid from NE Ropes, this stuff feels great in
your hands and is easy to splice.  It's the mainsheet of choice on the
J105 I race on, and I used it with great success as the mainsheet on my
old Yamaha 30.  But...

I'm not sure how well it works on a winch or with a self tailing
mechanism.  I haven't used it in this application, and suspect it will
not wear well if used this way.  The finish is quite soft.  In the J105
it is used with a ratchet block and cam cleats.

It stretches much more than most other polyester (Dacron) lines.  This
could be a problem with the midboom sheeting arrangement on a C320 or
for sheeting a big genoa.  You can tolerate some stretch in sheets, but
I fear that on lines that are loaded enough to require using a winch the
Regatta Braid might be a bit too stretchy.

The great "hand" comes partly from a rather loose single braid weave
(which also is why it tends to stretch).  This means that it soaks up
water like a sponge.  It also means that individual threads tend to snag
and pull out of the main rope rather easily.  These become long loops of
yarn that have to be cut and tied off to prevent further snags.  This is
the downside to a rope without a tightly woven cover.

In short, a great rope for some applications, but I would be a bit
careful about testing some of the above features before purchasing a lot
of it.  I'm somewhat skeptical that it would work well on either main or
genoa sheets on a 320.  Maybe others can offer testimony to the
contrary, in which case I will probably buy some soon myself.
Otherwise, I would probably go with Staset (not Staset X) for my sheets,
or something similar from another manufacturer.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, 653