[C320-list] Dutchman system

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Aug 8 06:30:27 PDT 2006

FYI Michael,

   You mentioned that you needed to remove the dutchman lower (aft) block to
get to the upper one.  I just drop the topping lift until I can reach the
(upper) forward one.

Tim:
====
I replaced them this spring.

Few Tips:

1) What I found helpful was to use the old one to roughly measure the new
ones.
2) Leave the new ones extra long.
3) Snip the lines at an angle leaving a sharp point.  Makes it easy to
thread it into the pocket at the bottom of the sail.
4) snug down the pocket screws only a little so that the line can pull out
some on its own when under tension.  This will prevent it from breaking when
you raise the sail and the sail gets some belly.  This lets it find its own
basic length (you'll tune/snug it after).

Dutchman has a great guide for adjusting these lines which you should read
as it will answer lots of questions.

-JeffH