[C320-list] Misc Questions

Scott Thompson sthompson at toad.net
Wed Aug 9 14:56:19 PDT 2006

Don't do that.  Ordinary use of a pump out pulls LOTS of outside air
through the vent -- enough to clear any substantial blockage.  That's
one of two reasons why you have a vent.  If it didn't do this, the
holding tank (a) would not pump out properly, and (b) the high suction
from the dockside pump would implode your holding tank when you tried to
pump it out.  This has actually happened to people whose vents got
plugged, resulting in cracked holding tanks.  Needless to say the
resulting destruction and mess down below when stuff starts leaking out
through the cracks is not something you want to deal with.  If you
simply must try this bad idea (which is more likely to cause a clogged
vent than clear one in my opinion) be sure to open the pump out cap
first so you have an alternative air source into the tank.

According to the books, if a tank stinks through the vent when you
flush, the cause is insufficient air circulation through the holding
tank leading to a surplus of anaerobic bacteria, which are the ones that
produce smelly gases.  The solution is a bigger vent and vent hose,
and/or a second vent, and/or a vent positioned in a better place to
force more air in and through the tank.  Well ventilated holding tanks
compost their contents naturally without creating much of a bad smell.
(That's the second reason why you have a vent, by the way.  Without a
vent it would stink even more.)  The vent hoses installed on 320s are
much smaller than the experts recommend.