[C320-list] Reefer drain to sump and Dry Bunk...

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 16:25:42 PDT 2006

Jeff, are you sure this is just condensation?  What conditions exist on your boat to cause such condensation?

When I found my matress wet, I realized it was coming from the steering pedistal cover in the aft cabin.  Based on what someone on this list said, I removed the cover to see that the opening cut in the bulkhead was about one inch from the bottom of the cover so that about an inch of water could accumulate.  If the screws are not tight or the seal is not, it will slowly drain into the sleeping area and run under the mattresses.  I drilled holes in the bulkhead along the inside bottom line of the cover.  Then, I put a thin coat of silicone grease on the seal, and screwed it back in.  One screw was not tight, and I had to use an over-sized screw.  That did stop the leak.

That having been said, the various methods to ventilate under mattresses are for a reason.  I would tend to think that condensation would need an air temperature well below those of summer: perhaps below 50deg. F.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay