[C320-list] Calling all Electrical Experts !!

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon Aug 14 05:51:28 PDT 2006

Tim,

   If you're planning on running an AC, an inverter isn't the ticket.  You
may want to get a honda portable generator.  Your batteries don't have the
power to drive an AC.

(If you're serious about Air conditioning and AC creature comforts on the
hook, then you might consider a compact diesel genset installation so that
you can stick with single fuel and have more convenience.  However the
portable Honda Generators are *very* quiet)

   Since you're on the hook, consider upgrading to a minimum of 40amp shore
power charger so that you can recharge your batteries via the generator more
quickly and *way* more quietly than via the engine.

   As for an inverter, if you're planning on running your microwave, you
need to seriously consider a true Sine Wave inverter, otherwise, the
microwave won't operate at nearly full power.  (Not a wattage issue, but
rather a peak AC line voltage issue.  "modified sine wave" inverters deliver
the same power, but not the same peak voltage which many motor/heating
appliances are sensitive to).

   If you're upgrading your alternator/regulator as well, this project has
been done by a number of people and there are a bunch of options here that
all work nicely.

As for the Gel Batteries,  AGM's may be a better option than Gels,
particularly since they will generally charge faster but since I don't have
them myself, I won't comment on how they actually perform.

-JeffH