[C320-list] My fuel tank leaks!

Ray Durand durand.mail at verizon.net
Mon Aug 21 07:40:41 PDT 2006

Jon,

Mine failed after two years!

In my case, one of the welded seams had a tiny pin hole in it.  It took me
weeks to find it.  I share your pain.

Looks like you already have some advice on getting the fuel out.  This is
very important, since you need to get it all out in order to be able to move
the tank around to get it out.  I discovered that the only way to get the
tank out is through the aft cabin access opening.  You have to remove the
wooden frame around the opening and the tank will just fit through it. Mine
had a metal strap that secured the tank to the hull.  It was not reusable,
so I cut it with a pair of metal cutters - not too hard as I remember.

After disconnecting the hoses and the wiring to the sensor, you have to get
the tank over to the port side so you can fit it through the aft cabin
opening.  I got a new tank from Catalina (Frank later reimbursed me, even
though my boat was out of warranty).  Installing the new tank was just a
reverse of the removal process.  I bought a tank hold down strap from my
local boating store and resecured the tank.  Keep the old sensor.  I didn't
and my new sensor isn't nearly as accurate as the old one.  The sensor is
easily replaced.

Good luck!

Ray Durand, #822
Marina del Rey