[C320-list] Raising the Bosun's chair

russgm at yahoo.com russgm at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 04:51:20 PDT 2006

Quentin-
I am waiting for the same explaination, I would NEVER consider doing this, or sending someone else up with one line. NEVER!!! Two lines are mandatory, no shackles, must be knots also.  Along the lines of redundancy, one I never thought of but noted someone uses is a harness for the second line, I have used 2 lines to the bossun's chair, but I think one to chair and one to harness is a better approach. Lets remember when we do this, that this is a DEADLY serious activity and all reasonable safety measures possible MUST be taken...All that being said I geuss you have one line handler at the bow tailing the windlass and one in the cockpit tailing the other line. BUT the windlass tailer has no place to secure his line after each lift (I geuss I need more of an explaination).
-russ monaco

Quentin Murphy <qmurphy at sympatico.ca> wrote: There is more than one reason for a safety line.  The line breaking is the
least likely of possibilities.  A shackle, a block or attaching method may
somehow come undone.  We can all make mistakes.  If the main halyard gets
jammed, then there is a second way to lower one down.  Sure is better than
sliding down the mast from the top unassisted.  If there is a substantial
risk, falling counts as that, one should always have redundancy.

Anyway, no one has still explained how to "tail" the windless line and still
attend to the safety halyard which will be aft of the mast.  One realizes
you raise or lower a few feet of each line at a time.  But when you leave
the line wrapped around the windless, I guess you have to tie off to a
nearby cleat each time you attend to the safety halyard.

Quentin Murphy
Celtic Knot #667