[C320-list] raising a bosun's chair

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 24 10:54:17 PDT 2006

A trick I found can be used with two halyards and one line tender is this: in halyard #1, tie a long loop that hangs about at your hip when taught.  Secure both halyards to the chair.  Have the line tender haul #1 & #2 halyards taught.  Sitting in the chair, the loop from #1 should now be at your knees.  Place a foot in the loop and stand-up.  This slacks the #2 halyard so the tender can pull it taught.  Now, sit down so the tender can pull the slack from #1.  Stand again on the loop in #1, and pull #2 taught.  This way, the tender need not crank wenches with you weight.  The clutches act as preventers.  It's not fast, but it is much easier on the tender.

Tip: don't rely on the shackles on the halyards.  Tie the halyards to the chair with bowline knots.

The easiest way is to find a mast-monkey in your marina to go up for you.  We have one and he basically goes up bare-footed, by walking up the mast using his hands and feet like a Polynesian up a palm tree.  The line secures him at the destination.  Amazing to watch.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay