[C320-list] Commodore for C-320

Bill Culbertson billculb_a2 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 21:25:23 PDT 2006

I can confirm that in my time in the organization there has been no correlation between regatta host/locale and commodore.

I bought my boat in 2001 too late to be tuned in to Dick Walker's previous San Diego Regatta.

My 1st Regatta was in Chicago in 2002 and Orlando was finishing his Commodore term at that event.  It was hosted by Pat Reynolds, Linda Sadlowski, Phil & Jan Byrd.  I sailed to that regatta 100nm from Muskegon Michigan aboard Pegasus which took 2nd in the races behind a local boat.  Wes Giles (future Commodore) and I learned how to both sit in the front passenger seat of a taxi and remain friends.

My 2nd Regatta was in Baltimore in 2003 and Linda Loux was finishing her Commodore term at that event.  Linda had hosted a regatta in the Seattle area a few years earlier I believe.  The Baltimore regatta was hosted by Joe & Diane Revak and Bruce and Norma Stumpp.  My wife was able to accompany me to that one.  She avoids taking the helm of our 320 but Joe Revak and Pat Reynolds insisted she take a stint at the wheel for that race.  It was fine - I wish I had their persuasive talent.  Allan Field eagerly awaits the return of her and her life vest to a future regatta.

My 3rd Regatta was in Marina Del Rey in 2004 and Wes Giles was finishing his Commodore term at that event.  The MDR Regatta was hosted by Orlando Duran and Linda Richards.  It was my first regatta with accomodations right at the marina (ahhh...).  The factory tour was hosted by Gerry Douglas (designer) himself - a real highlight.  The racing was fast and furious including a slam dunk (I think that is what it is called) at the start led by "boat boy" (Linda Loux's husband) with Orlando and other familiar names/faces aboard that boat.  To this novice racer, boats were all on top of each other in a way I'd never experienced.  Wow.

I was forced to miss the 2005 regatta in Newport and I'm very NOT HAPPY that I'm having to miss this 2006 regatta in San Diego as well.  Two in a row to miss is too many to miss.

But my point in outlining this beyond reliving some great regatta moments for me is that in no case was the current Commodore hosting that year's regatta.  Orlando/Linda hosted a regatta 2 years after Orlando's Commodore term.  Linda Loux hosted a regatta in Seattle probably 2 years before being Commodore.  Bruce Stumpp was Commodore two years after having co-hosted the Baltimore regatta.  Pat Reynolds took over the Secretary/Treasurer role two years after having co-hosted the Chicago regatta.  In a couple of weeks Dick Walker will have hosted TWO regattas independent of any Commodore role.

 -bill
Harmony #859