[C320-list] Boom Vang

Nigel Price nigel.price at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 27 22:36:22 PDT 2006

  The "adjustable" arrangement that I am familiar with has an hydraulic
piston with a pully at the top around which runs a dacron line attached to a
double block and tackle with becket at the mast step. (page 25 in the
manual).
  On my in-mast furler, there is a pin through the piston preventing any
up/down movement and no block and tackle gear.
  My original thought was the any adjustment of the boom must be irrelevant
because of the loose foot of the mainsail, but now I am confused, seeing a
boat rigged with the same in-mast furler AND the adjustable vang. I had
assumed that the only purpose of the vang on my rig is to stop the boom
skying on a run. The price you pay .
  Cheers,
  Nigel