[C320-list] Should I buy a C320?

Jane & Ken obuoy4848 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 10 10:06:44 PST 2006

Hello Brian,
  I am certain you have received more information than can be absorbed--but here goes with our Catalina story.
  We have been into sailing (at first only racing) since 1974 and have owned several sail craft.  We had an O'day 25 for twelve years before buying the C320.  We had many months of bareboating and had moved away from racing--cruising is sooo much fun, but we still enjoy going fast when desired.  The C320 met both these requirements--large cockpit for entertainment--ample sail plan for moving when desired-and big genny if we just want one sail up and feel lazy!
  As others have stated, we looked at other boats and really did not consider the C320 until the boat show where we could compare side by side features and comfort.  The drawbacks we found in the Catalina could be overcome with a bit of "sweat equity"--
  We took delivery of hull #219 and started cutting holes so we could have the "perfect" fast cruising boat. We added a/c, a 140 square foot bimini, coaming boxes inside and out, lots of electronics, speakers everywhere with individual controls, better foam beds and many "open mesh" racks for storage.
  We planned to keep the boat a few years and grow into a larger one as needed--nearly purchased a C470 in 2001 at Miami boat show, but got to thinking about the ease of sailing and living aboard (once for three months)  then decided the C320 met our needs and desires.
  We have owned since new and now the boat is over twelve years old and still looks new. The kids and grandkids really enjoy the layout also.
  Ken Cathey,  OBUOY #219

June Bruce <brucestanley36 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Brian
2004 C320 should be a very good option.
We bought new for several personal reasons.
Our Australian Phantom 32' yacht was 20 yrs old ... I hope to sail for 10 or
more years and somehow we found the funds to buy new. The Sydney Catalina
dealer sold our Phantom commission free and we got a good price for her.
re Bavaria 33: my wife and I sail together ... she is a competent sports
lady and I am naturally stronger. We have 3 x 2000+ nm coastal trips up to
the Great Barrier Reef under our keel and we work well as a team...so the
Australian price tag for B33 was negotiated subject to a test sail.
The cockpit arrangement on the B33 does not suit our team work. The glamour
cockpit table blocks a quick movement from port to the starboard primary
winches (or vice versa).
The B33 primary and secondary winch's .. B33 Primary were 30s and secondarys
16! far too small .. the Vovlo engine was 18hp ... not quite the real thing
for open water of a vessel which will be used for cruising.
C320 has a 30 Yanmar and the winches are correctly place for our type of
sailing ... (not only that the cockpit table folds away) and the Primary's
are 40s and secondarys are 30s!
After 6 months of owning her we are very happy ... despite many teething
problems.
Regarding the Hanse and the self tacking head sail ... it is a great idea ..
sailors tell me it under performs ... who cares if it suites you.
As I have said and indicated we are very pleased with our decision to buy
C320 ... and the C320 Owners site is an enormous positive to help you sort
out big and small problems.

cheers and Happy Sailing
BruceS

Bruce Stanley / C320 #1084 / Fantastic Lady
Sydney Australia

BTW which lakes do you sail on in Ontario?

---- "Amirault Family" ------wrote
>Bruce:
>
>Thank you for your reply. We had looked at a Bavaria 33 at last January's
>Toronto Boat Show. My spouse liked the interior, but the hull was simply
>out
>of our range.
>
>It had taken over a year to arrange an "on trailer" viewing of the less
>costly Bav30. It was just off the boat and on its way by truck from Toronto
>to its new owner in Vancouver. It was an 11 hour round trip drive to see
>it.
>I found it to have LOTS of features and equipment for the money. I have not
>made a decision as I am still put off by the lack of a traveler and
>restricted cockpit resulting from the addition of a bulky console with
>small
>storage and inadequate table.
>
>I am more than just curious to read what it was about the construction or
>performance of the Bavaria that caused you to discount it; as well as what
>was specific about the C320 that makes it a winner for you.
>
>I do single hand. If it was all about that, I would pick the Hanse 315 as
>this is easier with a self tacking jib and a mainsheet control in the
>cockpit. It also has an acceptable interior. However, there is much more to
>the purchase than my sailing alone, and thus the C320 is attractive; at
>least a lightly used one from 2004.
>
>Regards;
>
>Brian

Advertisement: Mobiles, computers, handsets, iPODs and more!
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsearch%2Fcat%5FPhones%5Fns%5FTrue%5Foff%5F0%5Fsect%5FAutomotive%5Fsort%5FotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSearchDisplayPriorityIndAVSCotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQFirstPublished%5Fsqt%5F2%5Fsrch%5Fmobile%2Bphones%5Fsrchtype%5Fint%5Fstate%5F9%5Fstpg%5F1%5Fsubs%5FUsed%2BCars%5F%3Freferrer%3Dplacement13&_t=759568604&_r=Email_Tagline1&_m=EXT