[C320-list] Fuel Additives

Jeffrey Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Dec 12 08:30:12 PST 2006

Hi,

As always, it's a "use common sense" issue here.

But the statement that "Cetane boosters will not help", is a pretty wide
generalization.  The Cetane booster I use is has other additives that
particularly address low sulpher fuels.  I buy it from my John Deere dealer
to use in my tractor as well (also a Yanmar Diesel).  If you buy a pure
cetane booster, your statement is probably correct, but often times, they're
sold as a diesel fuel conditioner and address a few different things.
Diesel Cetane seems to be dropping quite a bit in the fuels sold in my area
of the US anyway.

The note about the blending of sulpher into Diesel for another year (in the
US) is a good point if it's true, but check into that for the fuel you
actually buy and don't assume it's necessarily true for you.  Where you live
(and which season you buy fuel in) makes a big difference in what fuel
you're actually buying as you point out.

For example, whether yanmar recommends or doesn't recommend fuel additives,
probably depends on who you ask at Yanmar, and what question  you're asking.
While the *engine* doesn't need a biocide added, your fuel system
(tank/filter) certainly does. Many (not all) fuel docks sell fuel with some
added already, but for those who bring fuel from service stations, you need
to add this yourself, or be sure that some is added for you.

The final point, unless you have oil analysis done on a regular basis, 99%
of us don't know whether we're really having "good" results or not. Just
because the engine runs, doesn't automatically mean we're not doing damage
beyond what's normal wear and tear.

So, for the way *we* use and fuel our boat, we use a diesel conditioner
(that also boosts the Cetane slightly for quicker starting and cleaner
burning) and a biocide.  Higher Cetane doesn't improve engine power, but
does help the fuel burn easier/more completely, especially at lower temps
and lower compressions.  So, who knows, maybe it helps reduce carbon build
up slightly in the elbow over time.

My opinions of course..
-JeffH