[C320-list] Fw: Zodiac, other manufactures

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 08:34:27 PST 2006

Jerry, I can recommend AquaDutch boats as very well made.  They only sell direct, they tell me to keep the price down.

I first saw them at the Annapolis Boat Show, 2005.  I listened to the spiel and then went to every other inflatable vendor at the show.  I felt that the major others: Achilles, Avon, Zodiac, West Marine, Bombard, etc., were focused on their bigger RIB boats as the smaller tenders haven't changed much in 2 decades.  I found that the AquaDutch inflatable were, for the most part, better designed, better constructed, and less expensive than the others.

We bought the model 245 in PVC that is 8'2" with 17" tubes.  It's available in Hypalon too for more money.  It is a rollup model with high-pressure deck, and inflatable keel so it tracks extremely well.  It's rated for 3 people and 915lbs.  Will take up to 6HP on it's hard transom.  It's completely outfitted with 4 lifting rings inside, dual "D" rings on the bow for towing, eye bolts on the transom for security, and self-bailer.  The forward chamber has a pressure relief valve to prevent over inflation.  You know, on those super hot days when the boats tend to get very hard.  You can see all the features at their website: http://www.aquadutch.com/English.shtml

As part of the Boat Show deal, we got an 2-stage, 12V, air pump that inflates and deflates the boat quickly.  The best part about this is you set the pressure you want and the pump stops when reached.  I would definately recommend one of these pumps.

We use a 20 yr. old Suzuki 2HP, air cooled OB, and find that it pushes us along just fine around anchorages here on the Chesapeake Bay.  At about 25Lbs, it's a one-hander for an old gaffer like me.  The 17" tubes are a must for windy days to keep the water in the Bay and out of the boat.  The up-turned bow also contributes to a dryer ride.

We are very happy with this boat made in the Netherlands.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320, #62, 1994, "Warr De Mar"
Frog Mortar Creek, Middle River
Chesapeake Bay