[C320-list] Packing Replacement

Karl Mielenhausen _/) kmielen at iwon.com
Mon Feb 6 13:52:05 PST 2006

I have about 560 hrs on the engine and what I assume to be the original shaft packing material. At survey (in Sept) I had a fair leak (30 drops/min at rest). I was able to tighten the packing nut and now enjoy a drop/min or less, with no warming detected during running.

For those of you who did not upgrade to a PSS seal, any recommendations on how frequently the stock packing material should be replaced? Was it Teflon impregnated, like what is available today?

Since we tend to haul every other year here for bottom paint, so this spring would be the opportune time to also address the packing.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom(s)....

Karl Mielenhausen

2000 C320 Hull#690 "Silver Lining"

New Bern, NC