[C320-list] Re test and C320 Stripe

Walter burnett selkie2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 17:23:48 PST 2006

Having decaled more police cars over the years than I care to count, I've learned a few tricks of the trade. 3M Company does make a commercial grade decal remover, but it's better used for the final claenup than lifting the decal. The best way is with a heat gun or hair dryer on the lowest setting and a lot of patience.  If you're really good, you can do it with a razor blade, but gelcoat is a lot softer than a car finish and will damage easily. Again, patience is the key ingredient.

  Decal tape uses a pressure sensitive adhesive.  One trick is to lightly spray the area with a slightly soapy water solution and float the decal around until you get it where you want it. The water has no effect on the adhesive, but too much solution won't let the decal stay where you put it. Tack it wiht light pressure every 3-4 ft until it looks rigth. When it's in the right place press it down and work out the bubbles with a squeegee.  Unfortunately, a really good line requires a lot of practice and an artist's eye.

  Walter
  Selkie #887

Allan Field <Allan.Field at comcast.net> wrote:
  Did you remove the old tape first? If so, how?