[C320-list] Re: Brand of Power Pack

Joseph A Tamucci jtamucci at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 22 14:16:40 PST 2006

I have an "Ever Start" Maxx, Heavy Duty Jump Starter I bought at Walmart
for about $50.  Its rated at 600 Amps Starting power with a capacity of 20
AMP/HRS. I was wrong: it only weights 20Lbs.  It has 2-12VDC outputs  but
no built in light or air pump.  It's also the only power pack that has an
override switch that allows the jumper cables to be powered on even if
there is no load.  This is a handy feature for directly connecting to
higher amp devices such as high volume air pumps etc. on deck or away from
the boat. The other power pacts require you to be connected to a battery
before power is applied to the cables.  CAUTION...I would never use this
feature to directly connect the power pack to the engine cables with no
batteries in the circuit.  That would most likely damage the alternator
and/or power pack.

Its power source is an AGM battery so it's sealed and can be placed in any
position.  It can be recharged by an AC adapter or 12V cigarette lighter.
I had it sitting on the boat for 2 months without charging and it still was
almost fully charged when I used it to jump start my YANMAR.

I found out about it from Practical Sailor magazine (don't remember what
issue) that compared it to other pacts and highly recommended it.

Joe #619