[C320-list] Folding props

Stanley Rogacevicz SROGACEV at holycross.edu
Fri Jan 6 04:55:17 PST 2006

   Well Adam.... I hate to pour salt into your impending financial wound
but the other Stan also has one sitting in his cellar that I could have
packed in with the Spinnaker I sent you.
   With all the negative press on fixed 3 blades I didn't bother to
advertize it with my other sell out items. You should find it smoother
than your 2 blade - just as a 4 blade would be smoother than a 3 blade.
Not an opinion - just a simple fact.
   As for Power when punching through steep waves you should also feel
a difference. I first pulled it and installed a Martec 2 blade folder
over the winter back in 1999-2000. Over the lonnnggg winter and since I
only had the c320 since the previous August the power of the Martec
seemed fine. I got sick of, and worried about, the vibration and did a
short haul to put the 3 blade back on and with only a couple days in
between I was Amazed at the difference when I pulled out of the marina -
It was like a power boat in comparison !! I was sooooo glad that I
switched back later that year when motoring all day directly into steep
5 footers to get down to the 2000 c320 regatta in Stamford that August.
Of course the winning boat in light air that I crewed on down there had
a Martec 2 blade folder that when I drove it under power I could also
feel the same vibration that caused me to remove mine.  And yes, if you
have a good breeze you can still sail at hull speed with a fixed 3 blade
easily.
   The next winter I went with the AutoProp and except for some strange
noises that in 4 years proved harmless I was reasonably satisfied. My
Nauticat also has an AutoProp and I'm glad it does for the power and
feathering. The 'best of both worlds' is expensive but I think some type
of folding or feathering 3 blade is the only way you can hope to achieve
it.
Stan
(formerly) Christy Leigh
c320 #656