[C320-list] Folding props

Fri Jan 6 07:48:01 PST 2006

I love my Martec 2-bladed folding...best performance purchase for cuba libre 2...

--------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: C320-List-bounces
Sent: 01/06/2006 07:42 AM
To: C320-List at catalina320.org
Subject: RE: [C320-list] Folding props

Looks like 2-blade folding props, in general, could be getting an
unnecessarily bad rap.  I had a Martec, non-geared, 2-blade folding prop on
my prior 31' sailboat for over 15 years. The only time vibration was an
issue was when sea creatures became encrusted on the blades. Once cleaned,
no more vibration. Proper installation is very important to eliminating
potential vibration.  For example, a new prop should be tightly and
uniformly "seated" on the shaft. This is done by rotating it by hand on the
fixed shaft with grinding compound applied to the interface. A worn cutlass
bearing or slightly warped shaft will also allow the slightest unbalance to
become a noticeable vibration. I am of the opinion that a 3-blade folding or
feathering prop is only beneficial to owners who do a lot of motoring in
choppy conditions where an extra "bite" is desired. Otherwise, a 2-blade
folding prop provides the least drag, best sailing performance and lowest
cost.

Peter Clancy
AROBAN  C320  #222
Miami, FL