[C320-list] Simplified Starting Battery Schematic needed

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Sun Jan 8 20:15:56 PST 2006

Hi Chris,

    Orlando's advise is wise here.  You should invest in the 12v
bible or something
simple like it.  Aside from that,  the job is not complicated.  For
any cables you need,
use only 1/0 or 2/0 pre-tinned boat cable.

    Re: this wiring
diagram:  http://www.catalina320.com/gallery/album31/MinimalStartingBattery

This is one of the simplest functional arrangements you'll probably find.

First step:  Parallel the 4Ds
====================
   The negative terminals of both 4Ds are already connected together
with heavy black cable and
they form the common DC ground.  That part is all set.

   To put the two 4Ds in parallel without adding any new wire, you
can simply move the battery
cable connected to the #1 (or A) terminal of the 1-2-both, over to
the #2 (or B) terminal of that
switch.  I strongly recommend cleaning the connectors lightly with
steel wool before reattaching
them, especially if they're not pre-tinned connectors.

Step two:  Install a starting battery
=========================
    Put it as close to the 1-2-Both switch as practical and
relatively close to one of the two 4Ds.
I'm guessing that you're battery 1-2-both switch is on the electrical panel.

Using heavy black cable,  connect the Negative starting battery
terminal to the Negative post on the nearest 4D.

Using a heavy Red Cable, connect the Positive starting battery
terminal to the #1 (or A) terminal of the 1-2-both switch.

That's it...   Now, how do you use it?
==============================

Generally speaking, you leave the battery switch on both whenever
motoring, or at the dock plugged-in to shore power.  On the hook,
using battery power, ALWAYS switch over to position #2 to disconnect
the starting battery.

The engine will start in position #1 using the Starting battery or
position #2 using the house batteries, or all batteries in the Both position.

You don't need to do anything with the alternator wiring.

The shore power will only recharge the starting battery when the
1-2-both is in BOTH position.

Cheers!
-JeffH