[C320-list] Transmission ratio

Annie Bennett annie at sydneyprivatesailing.com.au
Mon Jan 9 00:05:49 PST 2006

If you are doing over kill I am a serial killer.  I get the mechanic to
change it very 6 months when he does the full engine service whether it
needs it or not.  He's commented sometimes it didn't need changing and he
could come out any time I need but they don't cost much and I'd rather feel
as secure as possible that nothing will go wrong when I take the boat out.
Most times the impeller hasn't really needed changing and I've kept the old
one as a spare but a couple of times there's been a crack in one of the
blades.  I'm not that handy at doing it myself so for me I figure it's an
economy/insurance policy to get everything done in one go while the mechanic
is there. I guess it depends on if you do things yourself or pay someone
else to do it.  If you are paying someone - part of the charge is just them
getting to the boat so you might as well get them to do as many things as
possible - otherwise you could leave it much longer until a problem
develops.  Also, making it an annual thing makes it easy to remember - a bit
like the dog's annual injections.

Annie Bennett
Topcat #812 (soon to be #1073! Ship arrives on 11 Jan)