[C320-list] 3-blade folding prop Size

Steven Magennis magenns at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 05:44:59 PST 2006

According to Practical Sailor a few years ago, prop calculations
typically call for a larger diameter prop than will fit under our boats
(that is, unless you extend the shaft, put another strut / cutlass
bearing, etc).  To make up for not being able to fit the proper
diameter prop in the available space, the pitch is increased above the
optimum angle.

The Gori prop can have a larger diameter than the standard fixed prop
because the blades are located further aft than the blades of a fixed
prop, and there is more clearance the farther aft you place the prop.
This is good, and allows the prop manufacturer to specify a prop that
is closer to the optimal pitch.  However, this pitch should be lower
than that of the fixed prop, not larger.

I would talk to other prop manufacturers (Flex-0-Fold and Martec in
particular) and see what they recommend for their version of the same
prop.  As I have reported earlier, I have the Gori 16.5 x 11 two blade
folding prop on my '02 C-320 with the Yanmar 3GM30 and (as I have been
told but have not confirmed), a 2.62: 1 transmission ratio.  All of
this info (Engine, transmission, reduction ratio, direction of
rotation, and shaft diameter) is required for the manufacturer to
correctly specify the prop.  Unless things have changed, you have a 1"
diameter prop shaft with right hand rotation.

Steve
Alchemist #909