[C320-list] Waterproofing Bimini

Allan Field Allan.Field at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 08:08:49 PST 2006

Dennis - Dick Walker sent out a review awhile back on this subject and I
saved it.  Following is what he sent out.  I have purchased a spray bottle
of the 303 from WM but have not yet used.  Hope this helps! - Allan

SunbrellaR Care

I thought the following might be of interest.

Is SunbrellaR fabric waterproof?
Sunbrella fabric is not waterproof; it is water repellent. This means that
during the finishing process a water repellent finish is applied to the
fabric. Normal wear and usage will reduce the effectiveness of this finish
as will cleaning the fabric.  We suggest that after Sunbrella fabrics are
cleaned and if they remain exposed to the elements constantly and water
repellency is a factor that you
retreat your Sunbrella fabrics with a water repellent treatment such as 303
High Tech Fabric GuardT which can be purchased at local awning and marine
shops.

Will SunbrellaR fabric mildew?
Sunbrella fabrics, if kept clean, will not mildew. An inherent
characteristic of acrylic fiber is that it will not support the growth of
mildew, as a natural fiber will. Mildew will and can grow on any surface
that is dirty, so to keep your Sunbrella fabric from mildewing you must keep
your fabric clean. If mildew growth becomes a problem please refer to our
care and cleaning instructions.

Can I hose down SunbrellaR fabric?
One of the best ways to keep Sunbrella fabrics looking good and to delay the
need for deep or vigorous cleaning is to hose fabrics off on a monthly basis
with clear water. This practice will help prevent dirt from becoming deeply
imbedded in the fabric and eliminate the need for more frequent vigorous
cleanings. In most environments, a thorough cleaning will be needed every
two to three years. Remember after hosing down the fabric to allow the
fabric to air dry.

Do your fabrics dry quickly?
Because Sunbrella fabrics are woven, they are also highly breathable, which
is why they dry quickly with only air exposure. It's also important to know
that Sunbrella fabrics are treated with a flurocarbon finish, which enhances
water repellency. This finish requires replenishment after vigorous
cleaning.

How often do I need to thoroughly clean the fabric?
In most environments, a thorough cleaning will be needed every two to three
years.

How can I clean bird droppings on my awning?
For those stains that are beyond our normal care and cleaning instructions,
such as bird droppings, roof run-off, acid rain, pollution, rust, tree sap,
insect stains, etc., we suggest the following products: an off-the-shelf
product such as Goo Gone Grease Cutter (a hand cleaner), Greased Lightning,
or Clean Rite Purple Power (available at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc.) or Release
(available through Awning Rejuvenation Systems International in Ft.
Lauderdale, Florida; 800.776.5664). Rub product into fabric, allowing
penetration. Brush with a soft brush, rinse THOROUGHLY and repeat if
necessary.

In your cleaning instructions, you use the term "Mild" or "Natural Soap".
What is "Mild" or "Natural" soap?
By "Natural Soap" we mean Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite. These gentle soaps
rinse out easily and will not diminish the water-repellent "finish" applied
to the fabric.  Regular laundry detergent will not harm the fabric, but the
water-repellent "finish" will be removed sooner (laundry detergent does not
affect the stain and UV resistance). BE SURE to use cold water and to air
dry the fabric when using laundry detergent. In addition, after several
cleanings you will need to retreat the fabric with a water repellent
product, such as 303 High Tech Fabric GuardT.

Cheers,

Dick Walker
C-320 (687) WindWalker II
740 Olive Ave.