[C320-list] Dog on board

allan.field at comcast.net allan.field at comcast.net
Fri Jan 20 11:28:18 PST 2006

Scott - I would get a new wife.  Or your wife is the one who rows the mutt ashore each day.  The only good thing I can see about having a dog on board is that you don't have to send it to college.

Seriously, my friend cruises on a Trawler with 2 labs and they have made great boat dogs.  Both dogs (one since passed away) have been trained to do their business on the foredeck.  Ron uses his anchor washdown hose to get everything overboard when the dogs are finished their business.  They are getting ready to go off for about 3 years and as great as the dogs have been, they will not replace the second one when she goes.  They are just too much trouble and this on a boat that floats level.

On a final note, if the dog does go overboard, you need to make sure you have a system for getting it back on board (assuming you want it back on board!).  Most people I know put the dog in a harness that has a loop on the top that can be hooked with a boat hook.  A grown Lab however probably is going to require a hoist or halyard.  It would seem to me that if a full grown Lab went overboard, someone is going to need to follow the dog in to get it reattached to the boat.  I saw something in a journal several weeks ago that you hang off the transom and the dog is supposed to walk back on board, although at a steep angle.

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD
From: "T. Scott Thompson" <sthompson at toad.net>