[C320-list] New Genoa

Thu Jan 26 17:00:39 PST 2006

I had my sailmaker make and install a UK Tape Drive 150 w/ taffetta cover Genoa about 3 years ago, at the clew it is right at the lifelines maybe 2 inches above....I love it! In Santa Monica Bay, wind speeds are low to moderate so although I didn't want a deck sweeper, I wanted plenty of genoa, also going down wind with whisker pole, I wanted as much sail as possible...

Have you invited the sailmaker out for a sail to discuss in better detail what you want/what he recommends?

cuba libre 2
--------------------------
Regards,
OD

From: C320-List-bounces
Sent: 01/26/2006 04:49 PM
To: "C320-List" <C320-List at catalina320.com>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] New Genoa

Orlando,

I respect the sailmaker's opinion, but I'm not ready to relinquish all of
the decisions to him. There is some latitude for personal preference in
areas like clew height and overlap, just as there was in areas like
material, weight and construction. I could have him make a deck sweeper and
get good pointing ability but no visibility under the sail and poorer
reaching ability. I could go with 155% overlap and get good shape and power
in moderate wind at the expense of excess weight in very light air and
poorer shape when partially furled. As usual, everything is a compromise.
I'm curious to know what other owners and their sailmakers opted for.

P.S. The sail will be a dacron tri-radial made up of 6.5oz Contender
Polypreg.

JeffC