[C320-list] New Genoa

Jeff Church jjemail at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 19:48:46 PST 2006

O,

He better know, and as this transaction progresses, with the help of you and
other owners, I'm hoping that I'll know a little better what I am talking
about so that I can have more productive discussions with him. I still have
some latitude in how high I have him cut the clew, and because of these
discussions I know that there are characteristics other than sail area that
I need to discuss with him. I can also tell him that the OEM sail, which is
one of several things that he will refer to as he does his measurements, has
a clew height of about 20". I also know that other owners have had their new
sail cut to either 150% or 155%. He usually builds jibs to 155% because of
racing rule limitations, but for a cruising boat I question whether 155% is
overkill. Prior to this I thought that 150% was some kind of standard for
our boat. Maybe the OEM sail are 150% just because Catalina is saving a few
bucks or because the OEM sailcloth won't shape up very well if the sail is
that large. I'll talk to him some more about that too.

I guess I could have just written him a check for whatever he wants to build
me.

If you have had a new main built, let me know what you bought. I'm thinking
loose footed is the way to go but I'm not sure how to rig the boat for that,
outhaul run back to the cabin top, lazy jacks, etc.

Thanks to all.

Jeff