[C320-list] Handling the mainsail

Joseph C. Fratantoni jcfrat at comcast.net
Tue Jul 25 16:00:10 PDT 2006

  My wife and I handle Winter Whim (# 211) on our own most of the time and
are finding that managing the mainsail is becoming more and more difficult
as our medicare benefits kick in.  The major effort is in raising the sail -
I wrote last year about  power winches and the major opinion was to
lubricate the sail slugs, which worked fairly well.  We are comfortable with
the Dutchman and dropping the sail is not a problem.  Reefing certainly is.

  With that as background, the issue is that I am looking a aftermarket
mainsail furling and at Battcar-type systems to ease the sail slug problem.
Is there any experience out there with either?

Joe and Pauline Fratantoni

Rockville, MD

Winter Whim (# 211)