[C320-list] Raymarine Autopilot failure

Dave Anderer danderer at udel.edu
Tue Jul 4 05:08:00 PDT 2006

Ben Waltuck wrote:
> Do the drive motors have a limited lifespan?  I ask because West
> Marine sells a replacement motor drive:
> http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/68043/10001/734/628/3

I can't speak to your problem directly, but one data point is this:

My ST4000 wheel drive exploded a few weeks ago.  The fix was
straightforward - I did the same thing this C36 owner did:
http://www.catalina36.org/site2004/Upgrade_ST4000_fix.htm

I also looked at other options here just in case my fix didn't last:
Replacing the broken part, or upgrading the drive unit to the one you've
listed.

Of course the part is no longer available.

And now to the point - the drive unit you've listed will supposedly work
but is a bit bigger than the original unit on my boat - about 1.5"
greater diameter.  That means to use it I'd have to lower the engine pod
on the pedestal and perhaps reorient where the drive motor is on the
unit, and so maybe have to rerun the wires to the drive motor.

Your mileage may vary, but just note this might not be a totally trivial
replacement.

When I disassembled drive unit I noted the drive motor itself comes out
of the drive unit quite simply - no tools required - it just unscrews.
If replacing just the motor is a solution, then that might be a lot
easier and cheaper.  Or your problem could be in the electronics or
wiring and your drive unit is fine.

As an aside, I'm happy with my $3 fix which seems to be working fine.