[C320-list] Spare Fuel Container Storage

Steve Magennis magenns at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 05:52:50 PDT 2006

Jeff:

Just one (or two) possibilities:

The can strapped to your transom was exposed to sunlight.  Sunlight
will go through the yellow diesel can and can promote bug growth.

In addition, the can on your transom changed temperature frequently.
That can cause condensation to occur inside the can.  The presence of
this water can promote bacterial / bug growth.

The can in your basement wouldn't have experienced either of these two
outside influences, and should hae had less opportunity for bug growth
(as you observed).

The moral of this story is to use the fuel as soon as practical, and to
use a bugcide / water scavenger (as you recommeded) and / or a filter
to prevent the main tank from getting polluted.

Steve
Alchemist #909